Feeling sluggish or out of sync? Struggling with skin problems, aches and pains, or digestive problems? Can't seem to lose weight? Interested in slowing down aging, clear skin, good
health, better mental clarity, increased motivation and energy, stronger immune system? It might be time for a body detox.
Practiced for centuries by cultures around the world — including ayurvedic and Chinese medicine systems — detoxification is about resting, cleaning and nourishing the body from the inside out.
By removing and eliminating toxins, then feeding your body with healthy nutrients, detoxifying can help protect you from disease and renew your ability to maintain optimum health.
How does detoxification work?
Basically dextoxification means cleaning the blood. This is done by removing impurities from the blood in the liver, where toxins are processed for elimination. The body also eliminates toxins
through the kidneys, intestines, lungs, lymph and skin. However, when this system is compromised, impurities aren't properly filtered and every cell in the body is adversely affected.
A detox program can help the body's natural cleansing process by:
- Stimulating the liver to drive toxins from the body;
- Promoting elimination through the intestines, kidneys and skin;
- Improving circulation of blood;
- Refueling the body with highly nutritious food sources and supplementation.
How do you know if you need to detoxify?
Today, with more toxins in the environment than ever, whether its it's our favorite household cleaners, the preservatives in our food or the pollution in the air, we are constantly barraged with
environmental and dietary toxins. If you look at the trends in pesticides and chemicals over the last few decades, there is no doubt that these toxins continue to increase in our
environment. If you look at the trends in pesticides and chemicals over the last few decades, there is no doubt that these toxins continue to increase in our environment. Luckily, our
bodies are designed to handle a certain amount of toxic load. Our liver has taken on the fight to keep these toxins from wreaking havoc in our bodies. Unfortunately the ever mounting
toxic load in our environment can be more than the liver can handle at times. During these times, toxins are deposited in our tissues, fat and organs. As toxins accumulate in the body,
their ability to interfere with our daily biochemistry increases. Research shows that these toxins are able to effect the way our bodies balance sugar and metabolize cholesterol. This
means that these toxins may be making you gain weight or the reason your body seems resistant to weight loss. Other symptoms that may be due to toxic over load are:
- Unexplained fatigue
- Sluggish elimination
- Irritated skin
- Low-grade infections
- Puffy eye or bags under the eyes
- Menstrual problems
- Mental confusion
How do you start a detox?
First, lighten up your toxin load. Eliminate alcohol, coffee, cigarettes, refined sugars and saturated fats, all of which act as toxins in the body and are obstacles to your healing process.
Also, minimize use of chemical-based household cleaners and personal health care products (cleansers, shampoos, deodorants and toothpastes), and substitute natural alternatives.
Another deterrent to good health is stress, which triggers your body to release stress hormones into your system. While these hormones can provide the "adrenaline rush" to win a race or meet a
deadline, in large amounts they create toxins and slow down detoxification enzymes in the liver. Yoga, Qi-gong and meditation are simple and effective ways to relieve stress by resetting your
physical and mental reactions to the inevitable stress life will bring.
Which detox program is right for you?
There are many detoxification programs and detox recipes, depending on your individual needs. It takes the body time to clean the blood.
Here are our two favorite detox programs. For additional information about each program, please click on the link.
10-day Detox Cleanse
Introductory Price: $135
Introductory Price: $140
Top 10 ways to help your body detoxify
After a detoxification program, you can cleanse your body daily with these diet, supplements and lifestyle practices:
1. Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent
2. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea.
3. Take vitamin C, which helps the body produce glutathione, a liver compound that drives away toxins.
4. Drink at least two quarts of water a day.
5. Breathe deeply to allow oxygen to circulate more completely through your system.
6. Transform stress by emphasizing positive emotions.
7. Practice hydrotherapy by taking a very hot shower for five minutes, allowing the water to run on your back. Follow with cold water for 30 seconds. Do this three times, and then get into bed for 30
8. Sweat in a sauna so your body can eliminate wastes through perspiration.
9. Dry-brush your skin or try detox foot spas/foot baths to remove toxins through your pores. Special brushes are available at natural products stores.
10. What is the most important way to detoxify? Exercise, any cardio, yoga (5 Tibetan Rites)
, jump-roping, Qi-gong, a martial-arts
based exercise system that includes exercises specifically for detoxifying or cleansing, as well as many other exercises with specific health benefits. 30 minutes to one hour every
Detoxification is a great way to kick start your health. It is suggested that a detox or cleanse be done every 6 months to keep the body in tip top shape. Think of it as an oil
change for your car. The gunky old oil is flushed out and replaced with fresh clean oil. Our bodies work the same way.
If you would like additional information or would like to set up a 20-minute consultation ($30), please feel free to contact
our office through email
Treat yourself <3